Director, Financial Intelligence Unit – PayPal
The Director of Financial Intelligence will design and lead PayPal's efforts to ensure compliance with anti money laundering laws across the 190 countries in which PayPal does business globally. This role will build upon an existing core team responsible for planning and implementing the strategy for AML transaction monitoring, using the Norkom system, and teaming with the PayPal anti Fraud and Risk Management teams to leverage extensive analytics used to flag suspicious activity.
The position will report directly to the global VP-Anti Money Laundering/Anti-Corruption, directly supervising a team within Compliance but also dotted line providing direction to several hundred Compliance Operations FTE who perform transaction monitoring functions.
Core duties will include:
- Develop strategy, policies, and investigative protocols for robust transaction monitoring, leveraging the rollout and expansion of Norkom transaction monitoring system globally to tens of millions of customer accounts. (40%)
- Working with the Product Compliance leader, ensure AML transaction monitoring planning is built into numerous emerging market growth initiatives and new products. (10%)
- Build a world class transaction monitoring team, both within Compliance and teaming with leaders of the separate group of Compliance Operations (the latter comprised of several hundred FTE in several global locations such as Shanghai, China, Chennai, India, Omaha, Nebraska, Dublin, Ireland, and Phoenix, Arizona), to efficiently and effectively manage the process of generating and analyzing alerts. (25%)
- Partner with eBay and PayPal compliance training initiatives to ensure employees and management are adequately trained and adept in implementing laws and regulations. (10%)
- Partner with Legal and Government Relations to stay abreast of changes in laws and regulations and recommend appropriate changes to ensure that operations adapt to comply with these changes. (5%)
- Together with the VP for Global AML and appropriate line of business compliance leaders, manage regulatory relationships with key regulators across the 190 countries in which PayPal does business. (10%)
The successful candidate must have:
1. Deep knowledge of financial institution, money service business, and/or banking compliance anti money laundering and transaction monitoring processes, investigative protocols, and systems.
2. Seasoned people leadership, communication and negotiation skills, including experience in building and coaching a world class team, preferably internationally.
3. Operations and systems installation experience.
4. Strong problem solving and operational process skills and attention to detail.
5. Excellent ability to analyze Compliance risks in complex business processes, and recommend controls to mitigate those risks.
6. Excellent presentation and project management skills with the ability to successfully work multiple issues at one time.
7. Extensive experience with regulators and the regulatory exam process, ideally for money service businesses or money transmitters and in the AML context.
8. High energy and creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to work in a fast growth and changing environment.
9. Ability to work within a matrixed environment and cross functionally with operations and technology functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- BA Degree in related field required with Masters preferred.
- 14+ years of anti money laundering compliance and management experience within a large financial institution, preferably a chartered bank or bank holding company.
- Detailed familiarity with the Bank Secrecy Act, Suspicious Activity Reporting, and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) requirements,
- Regulatory, Legal, and six sigma experiences are highly desirable.