Manager, QA – eBay
Contact: Apply directly on Silu.com at http://jobs.silu.com/job/19976
eBay’s Managed Marketplaces team is looking for a dynamic and innovative Quality Engineering Manager who is experienced with managing test teams for sophisticated large-scale, high velocity, global applications and web platforms. This manager will oversee a team of engineers responsible for certifying, and automating testing for major portions of eBay’s core marketplace platform: a global, distributed component architecture serving 100+ million visits a week which remains the largest eCommerce platform in the world.
In this role you will:
- Manage a team of 6-10 engineers, certifying major customer facing portions of the eBay marketplace, using an in-house java automation framework built on top of Selenium and Test NG, run from Hudson/Jenkins.
- Be a thought-leader for your team and others, proposing and building investments in automation frameworks & tools, to drive improvements and efficiencies across the larger Quality Engineering org. For example, recognizing inefficient automation coding and refactoring for modularity, ease of test data creation, and re-usability, or writing tools which integrate information from many different sources – functional tests, security tests, load and performance tests, builds, versions, bugs, release - to simplify the E2E QE process, reduce manual effort, and facilitate faster decision making.
- Manage a large-scale portfolio of automation tests for a diverse set of site features, involving thousands of test cases across 10’s of integrated applications in a services oriented architecture, serving both web, mobile app, and third-party SOA integrated use-cases
- Participate directly in design and architecture sessions of eBay applications, providing quality engineering’s perspective on design for testability, configurability, ease or deployment/release, environment autonomy, etc.
- Manage QE commitments and prioritization in an Agile environment involving many S/M/L concurrent projects, frequent, iterative site releases and routine changes in direction and prioritization in response to A:B experimental test results in Prod, direct user feedback, etc.
- Work with Product Management, Product Development partners to carefully orchestrate implementation plans for large-scale multi-team projects, maximizing testability and efficiency in delivery, and negotiating appropriate handover criteria based on project complexity/risk.
- Manage across a matrix of teams, coordinating testing for larger integrated projects across partner teams, including peer teams in China and India
- Hire and mentor outstanding, top-quality engineers, and develop the team into a high-performance engine for high-quality automation and site features
- Master accountability and influence without direct authority, be able to negotiate solutions to difficult resource challenges involving careful consideration of risk/return tradeoffs
Manage the daily execution of projects, ensuring on-time delivery with results that meet or exceed commitments. Handle escalations and resolve issues around quality, coverage, prioritization, etc.
You must be customer-focused, resourceful, hands-on, detail-oriented, adaptable, and flexible. You should have strong leadership skills and a solid technical background. You must be a proactive and effective communicator, both verbally and in writing.
In addition, you must possess:
- Extensive experience with globally distributed applications, with heavy reliance on service based architectures and events based processing
- Experienced manager of automation teams, has built and implemented large-scale automation platforms using a combination of open-source and third party tools, and in-house, purpose built automation frameworks preferably in Java or C++ for managing thousands of tests across diverse areas
- Direct experience with A:B testing and effectively certifying applications for mutli-variant experimentation in Prod
- Comfortable with scrum style, agile release lifecycles, requiring quick turn-around, frequent reprioritization, and juggling many concurrent projects at a time
- Strong e-commerce expertise
- Experience with Selenium, TestNG, or comparable automation tools
- Experience with junit testing, code-coverage measurement tools and java-profiling tools
- Experience with Hudson/Jenkins, or comparable continuous integration tools
- Experience with Load and Performance testing concepts and site-speed optimization
- Experience with Security testing and protection from external attacks
- Masters degree + 6 years experience or Bachelors degree + 8 years experience, in CS, EE, or other technical field
- Experience should be primarily in quality assurance / quality engineering / QA / QE or product development / PD, and include at least 3+ years in a management role